Yavuz Ekinci, a Kurdish writer, was awarded the Prize for Freedom of Thought and Expression by the Turkish Publishers Association on February 21, 2024. Publishers, writers and journalists came to honor him.
Freedom of Thought and Expression Award
Since 1995, the TPA has worked to promote the freedom to publish both in Turkey and worldwide. It is to this end that the TPA presents the annual “Freedom of Thought and Expression Awards”. By means of this award, the TPA seeks to show its support of writers and publishers in Turkey who are publicly known to be engaged in the struggle for these freedoms; to attract the attention of public opinion regarding this struggle; and to insist upon the legislative and political changes necessary to further freedom of thought and expression.
Press release Kumaman Kanapathipillai
Press release Stanislav Aseyev
Press release Alexander Goncharenko
Press release Rana (Pseudonym)
Press release Nazanin (Pseudonym)
Current guests 2020-2022
Link to Press release
Link to Press release
„STIMMEN FÜR DIE FREIHEIT”
The podcast of the Hamburg Foundation.
Johannes von Dohnanyi introduces – but not only – current and former guests of the foundation.
- Shammi Haque from Bangladesh
- Kamal Chomani – We will not be silenced! The young journalist and analyst Kamal Chomani had to flee his homeland after opposing the referndum for independance called by the Kurdish leadership. Even though today he is living in Germany, the former guest of the Hamburg Foundation for politically perscuted people hasn’t stopped fighting for democracy and human rights just in Kurdistan. „Iraqi from all walks of life are fed up with the system!“
- Shahindha Ismail – No place form me in paradise!
- Heval Bozbay – „I have still dreams.“
- Farzad Pak- Filmproduzent – Oppression and restrictions only foster creativity
- Farida Nekzad: – Dark times are coming back
- Aleksei Bobrovnikov: – Ukraine: „Ich hasse es, wenn meine Informanten getötet werden“
- Tanya Tkachova – Belarus: „ Ich habe getan, was ich konnte“.
- Masrat Zarah – Kashmir: „Nobody is safe in Kashmir“
All episodes can also be found here:
37 years Hamburg Foundation for Politically Persecuted People
The Hamburg Foundation supports politically
persecuted people who, because of advocating
democracy, freedom and human rights,
find themselves in a dangerous, often life-threatening
situation in their native countries.